Monday, July 4, 2011

Imagine That.

This is about to be one mother of a blog omnibus, I think I got swept up by the impending holiday weekend and mentally checked out. Luckily I remembered, for the most part, to keep taking pictures. But basically this is what happens to all my food journals. Three solid days of keeping up with it and then...ehhh I think I'll just eat with reckless abandon! Well maybe not that dramatic but still, I'm an awful food journaler (journalist?)! Enough self depracation, lets get this omnibus gassed up. 

Friday, for the second day in a row the break room is out of coffee. This is disappointing, upsetting, but mainly dangerous. That means there are about two hundred people, on the Friday before a long weekend, who haven't been fueled up. Bring on the productivity! I caved and walked over to the cafeteria to buy a cup, its just too hard not to have coffee at the beginning of a work day. Sometimes in this situation I get a fountain soda (!) but I'm forward thinking, with a holiday weekend right on my doorstep (and all the eating that implies) I'll make the smart decision here. This morning I have mixed feelings about the cafeteria. They overcharged me like woah for coffee for our department yesterday morning. But when I got there they were having an amazing special! $2.99 for a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwhich - egg, bacon, cheese (no tengo), english muffin. In case you can't picture it in your mind here's a picture for your eyes:
That's right, I ordered it. You can't turn away from that kind of deal. It was delicious. Although, the guy making it has this paint brush that he just slathers oil onto things with. I don't care for that. Instead of toasting the english muffin he just 'paints' it and throws it on the hot griddle. I don't liiiike that at all. So I told him not to put oil on my muffin. It turns that a hot griddle does nothing to a naked english muffin. Even an uncooked naked muffin is better than an oil painted one though. And for you, any of this is better than seeing a picture of toast again.

Lunch was very exciting, more excitement after that breakfast of culinary fireworks? Yes. We went out to lunch for my coworker's going away celebration and I enjoyed an Arnold Palmer and some very tasty pizza:
Because tonight...is the night, when two become one.
 Gah, who doesn't love Arnold Palmers? And the Spice Girls. And pizza.
 
We ordered the vegetarian pizza, but hold the mushrooms and kick us some pepperoni please. Why do vegetarians think that mushrooms are the same as meat? I'm not buying it. Meat is delicious. Mushrooms taste like dirt. I've had a pretty turbulent history with mushrooms, I consider them to be one of my food nemesis (yes I have many, I'm looking at you cilantro). Have you ever ordered a Hawaiian pizza? Perhaps the most glorious of all the pizzas in my estimation. Well, imagine you are settling in to enjoy a delicious bite and what do you unearth? A mushroom! Gag. In Belgium all Hawaiian pizzas are served with mushrooms and it doesn't matter if you order it without, there is always one waiting...somewhere. Bottom line, mushrooms are gross and they aren't meat, vegetarians. 

For dinner Nick and I went out for sushi. It was so delicious I forgot to take pictures until the last little piece. But I photographed that for you.
Imagine that piece but multiplied, and also with different fish, more rice, and kind of rolled up. Then you will be imagining what else we had. Also imagine that piece but hold the fish and the rice, add some vegetables and then tempura those veggies. Then you are imagining our appetizer. Also we drank sake. Again, I was too excited about that to take a picture until it was finished:
If you notice the sushi in the background you'll see that I did all of my remembering at the same time...Remember those cute little cups because...
They came home with us! We told them about this hot hula girl who was just their size and promised more delicious sake and they were in. Yes, we took the party home with us. Then some candy showed up!
That hula girl really gets around. Candy is what I turn to when its too late for all the caffeine that comes with a fountain soda. And its just. so. good. Those are pink dracula teeth, they taste just like normal dracula teeth, and sour patch watermelons. I'm not sure why but pretty soon after eating all that I fell deeply asleep.

On Saturday I started things off right with some cereal.
=
=
First Breakfast.
First breakfast was so good. I have been eating Coco Krispies since at least fifth grade and I see no reason to switch things up. I like my milk to cereal ratio to be about 7:3. That means I go through milk really fast but a box of cereal lasts forever. Then Nick got up and decided to make breakfast. We had leftover tri tip from the other night and mashed potatoes and I wasn't sad to see them again.
Now don't judge it from the picture, second breakfast was delicious. I kept saying breakfast when I was talking to Nick but in my head I was making the mental correction, "second breakfast". Kind of like the correction I make when I say the word epitome..."epitome", with the emphasis on the O, not the E, epitOme. Also, I had a Tic Tac.
I got a craving in Target. Incidentally, a pack of Tic Tac's costs $1.09. Doesn't that seem a little pricey? I was ready to pay and had to dig out an extra $0.84...Well worth the cost though, those things pack a little memory in each orange capsule. And orange are the only flavor worth buying. I said it when I was 10, I'm saying it now that I'm 25. 
 
For lunch we were out running errands and had to go to Costco. A hotdog and fountain soda (!) for $1.50 is the best deal in town. Writing down everything I eat is scary when I see that I have had three hot dogs in one week. When did I become that person?
Mmmmm fountain soda. I also had a churro.
I became that person the year that I worked the concession stand at USD. Actually, that's probably when I became a hot dog person too. So far today my fare has been on the not side of healthy but I had those tempura fried veggies last night so...I'm feeling fine. Also dinner was about to get all healthy up in here!
In this case a picture is worth zero words. I forgot to photograph dinner. 
I also missed the wine.
AND I'm expecting you to believe it was healthy! Honestly though, why would you doubt me? Nick cooked and he made swordfish (the steak of fish!), roasted garlic potatoes, and asparagus. I consider myself the most healthy when I eat asparagus. Its one of those vegetables that I wouldn't touch ever when I was little so I feel SO grown up when I eat it now. Grown up and healthy. And maybe I just know a bunch of childish adults but I haven't eaten asparagus around anyone recently who hasn't pointed out what will happen...later. Dessert was amazing.
 
Pocky are sold in the Asian foods aisle at Ralphs and I used to eat them growing up and they are still delicious! Pretzel sticks dipped in dark chocolate? Yes please. Part of writing down everything that I'm eating is so that I notice where the extra calories are jumping in. I think I just had an epiphany. What's this picture of a loaf of bread doing in my phone?
Oh yeah, I ate bread before dinner! Jalepeno cheddar bread. I cut enough for Nick and I to share, you know, because I'm nice. But he doesn't really eat or like bread so I had his portion too. THEN I had the very healthy dinner.

On Sunday morning I decided to surprise my man with cinnamon rolls. I read somewhere recently that men quite like the smell of cinnamon rolls baking. As in, it puts them in a good...mood. I'm not saying that I was trying to get Nick in a good...mood that morning, but I was definitely testing the theory. Well my surprise for Nick turned into Nick making the cinnamon rolls while I took Gibbs for his morning walk but still, I iced them when they were ready and that's probably the most important part of cinnamon rolls. They were epic.
 
Nick felt the need for potatoes, I seconded that need, so he made potato hash!
 
Potatoes put me in a good...mood. Also its the weekend, so I'm getting a little fancy with my coffee:
iced

For lunch we went to a BBQ and grazed on bits and pieces all afternoon. I didn't take any pictures because they were Nick's friends and I was meeting them for the first time. I didn't want my reviews to read: Sweet girl but did you notice how she took pictures of everything she ate? Weird...So you'll have to imagine, sort of the theme of this weekend for you. We shared several snack size plates of Doritos, some tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole (guacamOle), 3 chocolate chip cookies, a dab of potato salad, and a slice of lemon cake. They didn't fire up the grill until around 6 but by then we had to get going. A note on the salsa and guacamole: The salsa was homemade and looked so good, but giant sized pieces of cilantro were tooling around in there so I kept a wide berth. Usually I also steer clear of guacamole. I don't like it. I have no reason. I've only tried it once or twice and never really enough to form an opinion but I just don't think I like it so I really don't eat it. Well, this time I had some on a chip, it wasn't bad.

For dinner we toyed with the idea of fajitas but ended up ordering pizza from Papa Johns. We had a coupon card for a free large pizza but somehow I still spent $13. I think it was because I ordered two extra toppings and cheesy bread.
The cheesy bread from Papa Johns is so good. The pizza for me is really an after thought. Of course I like to dip the cheesy bread into pizza sauce, which Rae pointed out is just deconstructed pizza. This girl misses nothing when it comes to construction! Maybe it is just deconstructed pizza but I like it that way. Also, red wine.

This morning I was feeling very patriotic so I cooked Nick a big pancake breakfast. I don't want to toot my own horn but it was pretty epic. It definitely lived up to the day. Pancakes, apple topping (with brandy...and more cinnamon) and candied walnuts. Also, the best nectarines I've had all summer.
Here's a close up of the sum of all the parts:
Breakfast was amazing. Lunch I skipped because around lunch time Rae and I decided to take Gibbs for a walk. During the walk we dropped in on Tim, Talisha, and their new baby Wyatt. Although while we were there I ate leftover McDonald french fries that they weren't finishing. So I guess lunch was fries. It was definitely mindless eating so no picture. After visiting we came back and I sat down to do some serious food journaling (journalism?). I felt pretty good about skipping lunch, the mindless fries hadn't registered yet, so when Nick offered me some sake I thought, why not? It might get the creative juices flowing.
Also, who can say no to that little cup? So cute. Still feeling good about skipping lunch I decided to have a little bread before dinner. Dinner started with salad, that's right, keeping it healthy as usual.
That salad dressing from Henry's in the background is delicious. If you have a Henry's near you go out and buy some immediately. I usually like to make my own dressing but this blows mine right out of the water. I left it in the background of the entree shot because dressing like that deserves lots of camera time. I mean, if Cindy Crawford is at your picnic, put her in the pictures. Entree was a ribeye steak, garlic roast potatoes, and asparagus (so grown up) with some red wine. And Nick cooked it just how I like it:
Try not to drool all over my blog please. In case you are getting concerned, I didn't eat the whole piece of meat, part of it was gristle.

I think that about wraps up my omnibus. I ate some Pocky for dessert. It was so good and later maybe I will have a Tic Tac, it depends how nostalgic I am feeling. Here's a preemptive second dinner picture:
 
Nick just saw second dinner, opened his mouth like a baby bird and I popped two Tic Tac's right in there, imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment